From modest beginnings in a cow pasture, the fledgling Bismarck Airport needed facilities to serve the people and the aircraft that brought them here.
In 1936, the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration built a large municipal hangar in the prize-winning Art Deco style favored for airport architecture at the time. Over the years, the facility became known as Hangar #5 and served many aviation, military, community and civic purposes.
Now the historical structure must be moved or face demolition. If repurposed as a museum, Hangar #5 will provide a space where people will gather to learn, to celebrate and to dream.